General Information on Qualifying Requirements for Canada eTA

Applying for a Canadian Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a simple and straightforward process that is eligible for citizens of any of the 61 countries listed below, as well as permanent residents of the United States. In most cases being approved is as simple as having a valid passport, being in good physical and financial health, and being able to answer some basic screening questions.


Make sure your travel documents are valid for at least 6 more months.


Make sure you are in good health, or you have the right treatment for your condition prescribed by your doctor already.

You cannot have any criminal or immigration-related convictions.

No Refused Visas or Entry

You cannot apply for an eTA, if you have been refused a visa, a permit, denied entry to, or ordered to leave Canada or any other country.

No Tubercolosis

You cannot apply for an eTA, if in the last 2 years, you were diagnosed with tuberculosis or if you have been in close contact with a person diagnosed with tuberculosis.

Home and Job

After you land in Canada, make sure you provide answers for all the questions raised by the border officer and clarify the ties that will take you back to your home country, after your visit to Canada ends — job details, home situation, financial assets, family info.

Trip Plan

If asked, please explain clearly and show through your trip route, your booked hotels and plane tickets, that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit. Make sure your hotel reservations and any bookings in general are easily accessible to you while you are on the go.

Bank Money

Make sure you have a sum of money in your bank account, to support yourself during your stay. Think of a way you can easily show this to the border officer, if they request this.

Apply Now
United States

The Following Countries have Special Eligibility Criteria

For all travellers that belong to any of the countries below, we recommend you to pay extra attention to this section, as you will need some specific documents to be able to apply and successfully get an eTA for visiting Canada. (If you do not have these documents and you cannot obtain them, you can always try to apply for a visitor VISA.)

» must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.

» must have a national Israeli passport.

» must have an electronic passport.

» must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.

» must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan, that includes your personal identification number.

» US permanent residents are eligible for an eTA even if their citizenship is otherwise not. US citizens do not require an eTA to visit Canada

en English